29 February 2008

~GooD TimeS, a FrienD & MusiC~

Rio Grande Cafe has the best Margarita's...ask for the Top Shelve Margarita, aka, pushing the envelope in Utah drink.
True story: Kari and I tried ordering a pitcher of beer.
Apparently, their has to be four people in your group to order a pitcher of BEER.
Gotta love Utah liquor laws. Front of Rio Grande Cafe where we had dinner.
Joshua Radin doin' his thing on stag.
Ingrid Michaelson
Ingrid was quite personable.
She was entertaining, light-hearted, funny and interacted with the audience after each song. Hilary likes Ingrid...yes, Hilary does.

Another shot of Josh Radin

--Hilary is so old now that she has to sit down in between acts.
--Hilary is not so cute some times. {Note to Self: No self portraits for {me}

Kari and I both looking high...no baby, this is LOVE
--{me} trying to look "normal" for a picture--good luck with that one--
Hot Kari!

Finally---this is my normal look! {just in case you didn't know what that "looked" like} And, well, Kari always looks HOT!
Yummy Drinks...times 2 {two} PlEaSe!

Joshua James made a guest appearance with Josh Radin.
Thanks Kari for my fun date night.
Thanks Peter for taking care of the kids.
Thanks Jeff for sharing your wife for an evening.


Duo brings 'Grey's Anatomy' tunes and other quietish songsJosh Radin andIngrid Michaelson perform at In the Venue.By David Burger The Salt Lake Tribune
Singer-songwiter Ingrid Michaelson co-headlines with Josh Radin Thursday at In the Venue.The songs of Josh Radin and Ingrid Michaelson are on "Grey's Anatomy" so often that it's as if the duo are characters in the popular ABC show. They could be called Doctors McTeamy, perhaps. The team of Radin and Michaelson come to In the Venue on Thursday and bring their tunes from the small screen to the stage in aco-headlining tour. If you're a fan of the show with Dr. McDreamy and Dr.McSteamy, you've heard the soothing, introspective singer-songwriter tunes oftenplaying before the credits roll. Radin has had "What if You," "Closer" and"These Photographs" in the show, and Michaelson has had "Breakable," "Staring atthe Sun," "Corner of Your Heart" and "The Way I Am" in the show. And, if youdon't like that particular show, you might have heard Michaelson's gentle "TheWay I Am" in Old Navy sweater commercials. ("If you are chilly, here take mysweater . . . ") All in all, don't expect the volume at the live show to beturned up to 11. Radin says his habit for writing quieter, acoustic-guitar tunescomes from living in New York City. "I had a crazy neighbor who would call thecops on me," he said, forcing him to put the electric guitar and amp in thecloset and instead write gently strummed songs. The songs featured on "Grey'sAnatomy" have made an impact, even though the song titles or artist aren't evenmentioned. "The first time one of my songs played on 'Grey's Anatomy,' therecord shot up to the top 25 on iTunes," he said. "I think people like to do alittle research, by Googling the lyrics, and feel like they've discoveredsomething, without it being stuck down their throats." "Grey's Anatomy" isn'tthe only time Radin's music has appeared on TV. A college friend of his is ZachBraff, the star and sometimes-director of NBC's "Scrubs." Radin's musicfrequently plays on the program - another medical show, by the way. Michaelsonsaid she too notices a bump in her sales whenever her songs appear on "Grey'sAnatomy," but confesses that she doesn't watch the show - she is alwaysperforming when the show comes on. And, she doesn't shop at Old Navy, though shequickly affirmed she isn't "opposed" to the store. Michaelson had a simpleexplanation for why her songs are chosen so often for TV. "The words are veryclear," she said. "They're easy to 'get,' and to absorb. I choose my words verycarefully, and they're not shrouded." Michaelson said she and Radin willdefinitely perform a duet, and why shouldn't they? They are Doctors McTeamy,after all.


Singer/songwriter amazed by recent successBy ScottIwasakiDeseret Morning NewsPublished: February 22, 2008Singer/songwriter Ingrid Michaelson had no intention of singing andwriting songs. "I wanted to do theater," Michaelson said during a phone callfrom Maryland. "I loved old musicals like 'Sound of Music.' I liked the richmelodies and harmonies in musical theater. In fact, I didn't listen to too manypop music records. I did buy a Violent Femmes album and a 10,000 Maniacs album,but that was pretty much it." Although she graduated from State Universityof New York at Binghamton with a degree in theater, Michaelson wanted to seewhat making music could be like. "So, I tried my hand at writing music," shesaid. "My first album (2005's 'Slow the Rain') was written like it was done formusical theater. I focused more on melody than lyrics. I wrote songs that I feltpeople expected what I should write as a woman." Then she heard Death Cab for Cutie and Regina Spektor and that changed her perspective of songwriting. "I realized that I could open up and write songs that I wanted to write," she said. "It freed me up to writing so many different things." That same time, she decided to move away from the piano and use the guitar. "I learned to write songs on the piano," she said. "It limited me because I felt like if I did a certain chord in a chord progression, I couldn't do it again. With the guitar, I taught myself a bunch of chords and didn't know what I was doing and put them together. "That helped me when I did decide to go back to working with the piano because I realized that I can repeat a chord progression." In 2006, Michaelson self-released her second album, "Girls and Boys." A few months later, ABC picked up the songs "Breakable," "The Way I Am" and "Corner of Your Heart" for three episodes of "Grey's Anatomy." "Girls and Boys" was then distributed by Cabin 24 and is currently at No. 80 on the Billboard 200 album chart. "The Way I Am" is No. 74 on the Hot 100. All this is happeningwithout a major record label. In January, Michaelson was featured on the coverof Billboard Magazine. She has been featured in the Wall Street Journal and hasmade appearances on "Last Call" with Carson Daly and "Late Night" with ConanO'Brien. "It's all so shocking to me what has happened in the past year,"Michaelson said. "I think the most amazing thing that has happened to me isseeing people singing my songs. "I still feel pretty normal," she said. "Still, being totally in charge of the business side as well as the musicalside of her career is quite a job. "It's good and bad," she said. "The goodthing is, I'm able to see what comes in and what goes out financially. I knowthere are other musicians who have other people in charge of that. That way theydon't see what I see. That's the drawback. I see things that I would rather notsee. I see people in a different light that I would rather not see. But it'sgood that I can do what I want when it comes to my music and business. It's coolbut also a bit overwhelming."

1 comment:

Kari said...

Ewww...get those damn ugly pics of me off of there. I do NOT look HOT in any of them. Those are the most unflattering photos of all time.

I had tons of fun! I love you!